pinterest

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

In case you were wondering

Just in case you were wondering, yes, there is knitting going on, I just can't show you any of it. :)

I will say that the one problem with knitting the same pattern more than once is you get complacent. "Oh, I know how this goes" you say to yourself (at least if you are me) and you go charging off, casting on and throwing yarn and needles in one of those handy zipper bags and drop it on the counter at work. On those rare occasions that you get to sit down back there you pull the work out of the bag and knit a few stitches, or rows, merrily content that you know what you are doing.

It all came to a screeching halt when I realized I had skipped two charted rows at the end of Chart A which would be why it didn't look quite right and I ran out of stitches quite rapidly in the next chart. I won't mention how long it took me to figure out my mistake, but here is a hint for you, VOI increases every right side row at each end of four sections, that would be 8 stitches per pattern round. ;)

On to the real purpose of your visit today.....will it be expensive and only found in specialty yarn stores, or cheap and found in the grocery store?

Let me tell you a little secret about your knitter. Even when she* throws her knitting across the break room, grinds her teeth or is convinced that she will ever learn a new technique there is one thing you can count on.

Are you ready for this deep, dark secret?





Are you sure?





Your Knitter loves yarn! There, I said it and let the cat out of the bag. Some knitters will prefer one fiber over another, but deep down we love any kind of fiber you would care to give us. If you aren't sure which fiber or which color take a look at what your knitter has been working on all year (yeah, check YOUR sock drawer there are probably some good choices in there). Once you have an idea of what you want to surprise her with visit your Local Yarn Store, they might even know exactly what your knitter is looking at, petting but not buying from their shelves, and pick up as many skeins, hanks and balls of the stuff as you can fit in your car.

Many online yarn stores are having sales this week and with priority shipping you might still have time to get your gifts.

Land O Lace has some new gossamer yarns that look yummy and check out their Just Abouts colorways in sock yarn and lace weight.

KnitPicks has some really low prices on all of their yarns, good for the smaller budget. I really like their knitting needles, nickle plated for me please!

The Gossamer Web has some really fine yarn, suitable for heirloom shetland shawls if your knitter is so inclined.

Something for every price range can be found on these sites. :)

~M




*That would be a generalization, not all knitters are "she", some of the best I know are "he", I am a she so it feels right to type it that way!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Ah the glorious wonders of yarn .... you can never have too much!