pinterest

Saturday, August 26, 2017

Free Pattern Alert!

You always know I have something going on when I post on Saturday morning, rather than Friday night!  Today is no exception...

Presenting :




Sometimes I just want to knit something that looks complicated, but really isn't!  This shawl, with it's half-pi shaping is one of those knits. Predominantly it uses one type of decrease and yarn overs, with a single Estonian stitch thrown in every few rows.  There is even a tutorial for an easy way to work that Gathered Stitch.

The one thing that has always bothered me with Pi or Half-Pi shaped shawls is that increase row (or round).  The overall mesh patterning in this one, blends into that increase segment so that you don't notice it in the final shawl. 





At the edge we add a few more types of stitches, and just a few beads (the way the pattern is written, but, if you want more, look at this project for inspiration for where to put them!)










My test knitters for this shawl did a fantastic job, not just with the actual knitting and feedback, but in keeping it a secret until yesterday when I finally gave them permission to share!



The pattern is written in two sizes, the cream one is Large (58 inch wingspan, 25 inch drop. [145 cm by 62.5 cm] )and is worked in a fingering weight wool and silk blend from Valley Yarns, Charlemont.  I picked the knitted cast off for this version.....

 The blue is the smaller size (44 inch wingspan, 20 inch drop. [110 cm by 50 cm]) and is worked in a laceweight wool, silk and sparkly thread blend, Twinkle Lace from Unplanned Peacock.









This time I did a crochet chain bind off, like you would find in old fashioned doily patterns.
Size 4 (US)  or 3.5mm for my metric friends, needles are used for both versions, but as with any shawl, gauge is not critical to obtaining a beautiful finished object!







You can get the pattern, for free, here on the Knotions website!

~M

4 comments:

Marie said...

What a lovely shawl! I'm almost ready to tackle it. Well, maybe not...but I'm doing more patterns with lace sections, and getting more comfortable with lace. I love the look of this new one of yours. Next task for me: getting comfortable with charts.

greygal said...

Looks great...it's now on my to do list :)

Mary said...

Thank you so much, to both of you!

Unknown said...

gorgeous! your work is always outstanding - in awe of you!