pinterest

Friday, August 18, 2017

A Knitter's Best Laid Plans.



A couple of weeks ago, I had a yen for socks.  It had been at least a few days since I had any on my needles, so I grabbed a couple of lonely balls of yarn...somehow I had one ball of Felici in Time Traveler, which certainly on its own was not going to be enough for a pair of socks for me, so I paired it with some Stroll in black.








 A few minutes with some charting software (because I am really trying to join the modern world and not just use excel or graph paper!) I had a rudimentary idea of how my socks were going to look.




Or at least, I really thought I did have a rudimentary idea of how my socks were going to look...but a funny thing happened while I was contentedly knitting away...

Instead of a heel, it appeared that my "sock" had a thumb gusset!

Now, I could have kept on deluding myself into believing it was finally my turn for socks and put a toe on the end, but, if the yarn wants to be mitts and is fingering, when you live in Ohio...fingerless mitts to wear under thick mittens or over thin gloves are the way to go!

But even though I like my sock legs long and that thumb gusset didn't appear until a heel would have (about 7.5 inches in!) fingerless mitts take much less yarn than socks do.  My plan to use up that ball of Felici was not working out.










 

So this happened....
reversing the main color for the contrast color, shortening up the cuff a little and I came oh-so-close to using up all the Felici without "going over"....I needed to shorten that cuff just a couple more rows because I did run out of the Felici before I ran out of thumbs.






Now if we could just arrange schedules a little better, I could get some true Finished Objects pictures, of these mitts among other things, and get the patterns finalized.

Sometime before then though...these are going to need a name!  Got any ideas?

~M

No comments: