pinterest

Friday, June 2, 2017

Forgotten Finished Objects - Well, Unblogged

I thought I was going to share a different finished object today...but I might have underestimated how long the edge was going to take, and overestimated how many stitches can comfortably fit on a 60 inch circular needle.  Maybe by next week!

But, luckily I don't think I have told you about this one, so I do have something to share!

Presenting :

Ostrich Plume Baby Bonnet by Ranee Mueller.
Baby Bonnet with dishes, gift bag and paper hyacinths
Her version was knit in a decadent cashmere/merino blend...I knit mine in a merino/angora blend. (So not something you would want to leave on a baby too long, all those pesky fibers, but suitable for a newborn picture prop!)
Different gift bag
The pattern stitch, Ostrich Plume is an "old standard" in the knitting world.  One of many, many, variations of feather and fan, and truth be told, possibly my favorite variation.  Added to the natural colored yarn and all my "this is a good baby thing" buttons are being pressed.  There is just something about an old fashioned, pretty, stitch pattern, a plain colored but decadent yarn that warms my heart.
Pink Hearts for Girls
The bonnet is ever so quick to knit up, once you have the rhythm of the ostrich plume stitch it makes good "chatting with friends" or "watching a movie" knitting, and an elegant baby shower gift, if you should be in need of one!

Stats:

Ostrich Plume (my project page)
Yarn:  Knit Picks Bare Hare
I used 88 yards (80 meters)
Needles: US 2 and US 3 (2.75 and 3.25mm)
Some random ribbon from the sewing box.

Overall thoughts...go ahead knit one, or two or even three!  A very quick, fun knit.  Not quite mindless but very relaxing and you never know when you will need a baby shower gift.  Knitted to gauge it is a true newborn size...if you wanted it to fit longer choose a slightly heavier yarn and larger needles. (And if the opportunity for a baby shower doesn't appear many non-profits and hospitals will take baby items as donations.)

I have a fiber festival to attend this weekend, which will be fun, although the last thing I need is more inspiration for projects!

What are your plans for the weekend?

~M






No comments: