pinterest

Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Spread A Little Love

No matter which side of the fence you have been the past year or so, it all came to a head yesterday when America held the 2016 Presidential Election.  Emotions have been running high and everyone has had an opinion about what each candidate would mean for the future.  Not to be an "egotistical American", but...this election, even more so than many others we have held, had many international ramifications.  Some of which I am not sure we will fully realize until some time, and actions, have come to pass.

No matter which candidate won, today I was going to talk about spreading a little love, because, honestly, deep down I believe everyone deserves some.

One of the better things about taking my "cute little hobby" of knitting and turning it into a side hustle of writing patterns and publishing them, has been virtually meeting some truly nice people. I am awed at how many designers have patterns that are sold specifically to raise funds for things like homeless teens, cancer research and treatments, AIDS issues...the list goes on and on.

Crafters in general have always seemed to be more "giving" than most, from what I have seen. Maybe it is just that we want to spread our love of the craft itself, sharing yarn and helpful advice with others.  Or maybe it is because we truly understand that many small actions repeated often enough can turn into really big things!

Afifa, who is the designer behind AfifaKnits, emailed me a few days ago asking if I would like to participate in a program she is working on to put hats on the heads of 300 homeless people this Thanksgiving.  So over the past week or so, while I have been trying to be good company and not constantly be counting stitches for lace pattern repeats, I whipped up a few to send.

Nothing fancy, just some thick warm hats to keep some cold heads warm.

So, in today's uncertain times (which have been uncertain for probably as long as I have been alive so that really is nothing new!) why not take just a few minutes out of your day, find what you think is a way of spreading a little love and commit to doing it?

~M

No comments: