pinterest

Thursday, February 12, 2009

And one got away




There is a picture missing...the black socks jumped on the feet of their new owner before I was able to snap pics! Another finished object for the year, you gotta love lunch time knits that are small. :)

Mystic Star is starting to get bigger, but I suspect I will be adding additional sections if I want to make it into anything other than a medium size doily, I will see on Monday when the next clue comes out. I finished the blue circular clue this evening and have started on my red semicircle. I hope to get that one done before American Beauty starts this weekend.

One Hemlock blanket down, maybe a couple more to go. My yarn did not go as far as I would have liked it to, still a decent lap blanket and I have different cashmere to do more blankets. All in all I can't complain about it too much, the cashmere was very reasonably priced.

As I am sure you can tell I enjoy working in fine yarn (in both senses of the word)...one of my Yahoo knitting groups blew up with messages this week about if "fine" or luxury yarn always means expensive and if "cheap" yarn is worth the trouble to knit with.

The truth of the matter for me is that I am something of a yarn snob. I enjoy working with silk, cashmere, fine merino wool more than I do acrylic...but both types of yarn have their uses and there are some fantastic inexpensive yarns out there - including the so called luxury yarns! Colourmart has separated me from many of my dollars, but when I add up costs to make a Hemlock Ring Blanket out of acrylic would cost me just as much as using cashmere. Surely the "luxury" yarn wins out.

That said, I got some nice acrylic to make a baby blanket with. :)

~m

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I'm definitely going to have to make a Hemlock at some stage. Yours looks great - what yarn did you use? And Mystic Star is coming on very nicely. I'm looking forward to getting some head space for a good stint of lace knitting soon. I'm knitting a baby blanket out of merino at the moment (machine washable) and I must say it i a pleasure to work with - even in the heat.