pinterest

Sunday, February 21, 2016

In Which She Catches Up

Do you remember that WIP I showed you on Wednesday?  The last of the crochet edging was put on during the evening on Friday and as luck would have it, Mother Nature gave us a nearly 70 degree day on Saturday to block and photo it!

Presenting :  Annapurna 2
(Stolen blatantly from Wikipedia)
"Annapurna II is part of the Annapurna mountain range, and is the eastern anchor of the range. It was first climbed in 1960 by a British/Indian/Nepalese team led by J. O. M. Roberts via the West Ridge, approached from the north. The summit party comprised Richard Grant, Chris Bonington, and Sherpa Ang Nyima. In terms of elevation, isolation (distance to a higher summit, namely Annapurna I, 30.5 km or 19.0 mi) and prominence (2,437 m or 7,995 ft), Annapurna II does not rank far behind Annapurna I Main, which serves as the western anchor. It is a fully independent peak, despite the close association with Annapurna I Main which its name implies.
Yugoslavs from Slovenia repeated this ascent in 1969, also climbing Annapurna IV. Kazmir Draslar and Majija Malezic reached the summit In 1973 Japanese shortcut the route by climbing directly up the north face between IV and V before continuing along the west ridge. Katsuyuki Kondo reached the top in a remarkable solo performance.
In 1983, Tim Macartney-Snape planned and participated in an expedition to Annapurna II (7,937 m or 26,040 ft) successfully reaching the summit via the first ascent of the south spur. The descent was delayed by a blizzard and the expedition ran out of food during the last five days. They were reported missing and when the expedition eventually returned they received significant publicity.
On Feb 2, 2007; Philipp Kunz, Lhakpa Wangel, Temba Nuru and Lhakpa Thinduk made the first winter ascent. The team followed the route of the first ascent from the north."

I actually should have called this piece Annapurna I East as that is the smallest of the peaks, but it is too late now!  (But that is what happens when you do your research after naming a piece!)

Stats:
Yarn :  The Gossamer Web, Love Potion Number 3
Needles:  US size 2 (2.75mm)
Finished Dimensions : after relaxing off the pins 44.5 inches by 22.5 inches
Beads?  Of course, little size 10/0 gold lined beads, I didn't count how many.
Finished Weight:  Including the beads, 27 grams!!!!
On Ravelry here.





I love that Andrea picked a mountain to theme this piece after.  I didn't know much, if anything at all, about the Annapurna mountain range before I started knitting these pieces.  I know a little more now!

TDQ says that I can keep this shawl.  It is very delicate (27 grams remember?!) and she is worried that she will catch it on something and ruin all that work.  Luckily there is a fingering weight version that still needs Charts B and C.  I may be jinxing myself, but I knit faster in fingering weight so that might not be too far from done.

TDQ has also taken to experimenting with Japanese style foods and cooking.  I love having an evening off from deciding what to have for dinner, making it and cleaning up from it. It has meant scoping out the international food sections of grocery stores looking for specific spices and sauces.  Very tasty though!

Well, it might not be 68 degrees right now, we are getting ready for the next "cool down" so it is barely 60, but I will take that in Central Ohio in February, and I am going to run back outside to enjoy it!

~M





No comments: