pinterest

Sunday, February 23, 2014

Doldrums

The doldrums is a colloquial expression derived from historical maritime usage, in which it refers to those parts of the Atlantic Ocean and the Pacific Ocean affected by the Intertropical Convergence Zone, a low-pressure area around the equator where the prevailing winds are calm.

In other words, take your own risk sailing there, you could be stuck for days without making any forward motion.

Doldrums are also that place in your knitting where you knit and knit and knit, knowing by the decreasing amount of yarn in the ball you are using that you have to be making great forward progress, and yet, somehow, when you look at your knitting you have barely made a dent.  Some people also call this edging!

I am in the Doldrums of my Fractal Blanket!

I have used up all the partial balls that were left over from making squares...when there wasn't enough yarn to knit another complete square without joining I put it aside and started a new ball.  And, I have used a huge chunk out of another ball of yarn and the end is not in sight.  Which isn't really made any better by Andrea hinting that she will soon be posting the next project....in the doldrums of edging I would leap at the chance to cast on the next thing instead of working yet another pattern repeat.  Although, the pattern repeats are very pretty and the wider edging I picked from our choices does look ever so nice with the rest of the blanket, at least as far as I can tell with it still on the needles!

As with all lace, really, to know for sure how great it looks I need to finish it up and block it!

Wanna see how it looks so far?

Other than working on that edging my only other knitting has been repair work!  Seems like children at my house are getting to be a bit hard on their hand knit socks, two replaced toes (from different pairs) a heel and I still have some repair work to do.  At least the toes were easy, I just ripped out the old ones and knit new ones in their place rather than trying to darn them. And quicker than my usual holding them over the garbage can, saying "Darn you sock" and knitting a whole new pair!

I suppose it is back to the doldrums for me....anything exciting on your needles?

~M

No comments: