pinterest

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Let the Games Begin

Out in the real world many athletes have starting competing to see who is the fastest, strongest, and most graceful.  They have spent countless hours training for the games that are taking place in London, England this year.

In my world, knitters have been planning, swatching, winding yarn and generally warming up their needles.

Do the two compare?  Not really, but both are demonstrations of determination.  Both are putting skills to the test, and both are supposed to be fun! (Well the knitting part anyway!)

There are knitting groups all over Ravelry that are participating in this years fun.  The ColourMart Group decided on a group challenge using scrap sets.  Let's look at those scrap sets for a minute.
Can you believe that they call these "scraps"?  Each of those skeins is 50 grams, any other yarn store would sell those as "full skeins" but in the ColourMart World we are calling them scraps.  (I am really glad I was not the poor person who was charged with winding 50gr skeins off cones to package for this challenge!)

Now for the challenge part.  Each of those bags is a project for me.  All the colors have to be in the project, but not necessarily all the the yarn.  I could double or triple the yarns if I wanted, use one color for just a small accent, if I wanted, knit anything at all that I want, so long as I use all the colors.  And, I couldn't cast on until Opening Ceremonies of those big games in London, and must have cast off by the end of Closing Ceremonies in London.

I am starting with the blues project, and cast on after dinner last night. (Well after Opening Ceremonies, but this girl has a day job!)

This is what I have so far.
The first two blues are very close in hue, you can not tell in this picture that where the shawl is getting darker is actually alternating, single rows, of two colors.  So far, I am really liking the simplicity of this one.  Let's see if I keep feeling that way as she grows!

In Other Knitting News......


Chart B of Sangria Lace. (Every time I type Sangria Lace for some reason I start hearing Chantilly Lace in my head, I am driving everyone around me nuts singing that song!)  That is the triangle version in Lara's Creations Starlight.  You can see the colors starting to get darker in this shot, and the fancy clusters on the spine stitch!

And the Square Version.

Looks like I have a lot on my needles this week! What about you?

M

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I haven't got beyond chart B for my Sangria because I'm trying to wrestle my never ending blanket into submission for the 'lympics. Oh and I love your bags of "scraps"!