pinterest

Thursday, August 29, 2019

It's All About the Technique





I've always been very interested in the how and the why things work in knitting the way they do.  Why stitch mount matters, how a change in the fiber content of your yarn can drastically change the look of your finished piece.

Last year I became really curious about how directional decreases really do warp the fabric you are creating, pulling it one way or the other and in the case of a series of single decreases (knit 2 together) for example could result in a diagonal line or series of "dashes" in the shoulder shaping of a garment.

How could you avoid that line if it interrupted the design?

After much experimentation and running around asking knitters of different styles to test my directions I came up with a "nearly, almost, completely vertical, single decrease".  I won't say I invented it though.  Knitting has been around far too long for someone else not to have come up with it, but in all my searching through books and the internet  I didn't find anyone doing anything like this.

So of course I used it in a pattern. Sent the pattern off to my tech editor and waited.  What would she make of it?  Unfortunately she had some health problems and kept putting off editing the pattern and I then moved on to other things while I waited for her to recover.  In the end she decided that she wasn't going to get back into tech editing so I had to look for a new place for this pattern to get the editing it deserved and other projects took priority.

Finally, well over a year in the making, the editing and test knitting is wrapping up and I am releasing that pattern!


Including detailed written instructions for how to do that special "vertical single decrease" for both Eastern and Western Mount knitters. (And how to tell which you are!)


The pattern will soon be available on LoveCrafts and Patternvine.

In other news, so much going on in my neck of the woods, but...that will wait for another day!

Until then,

Happy Knitting!

~M

No comments: