pinterest

Sunday, April 12, 2020

Not SIlent At All

How are you holding up? Have you had to go through many changes, or just a few?

I have a family of "essential" workers (legal and manufacturing) so, for the time being it is daily trips into their jobs as usual.  Although, this past week TDQ's hours got cut as less and less court  proceedings are able to happen.  (Being one of the more recent hires, it would not surprise me to find the firm lays her off fairly soon here.)  TOB's hours seem to be staying the same, but a big shout out to the company he works for...when the schools first closed they offered child care or flex hours to people who were affected and although there have been a couple of days where he got a bonus day off because materials didn't get to them from their suppliers it looks like his job is secure. (TFB, you ask?  He "graduated" and should have his degree in hand shortly but...hard to interview for jobs right now and he (of course) doesn't get the commencement walk he planned on.)

Which is the long way around of saying that even though we are staying home...there is enough "out of the house" happening that we haven't killed each other yet.

I have friends all over the world and one of the things I have found really interesting is what is, and what isn't, readily available on store shelves in different places.

We all have had (or are still having) problems finding toilet paper...but some areas...eggs are no where to be found, when I have plenty, and flour seems to be the next toilet paper.

I don't even bother making a list before I go for my weekly shop any more...I am creating my meal plans based on what I can find and what I already have in my pantry.  But overall...we have plenty of food, just not the brands or types of things we are used to having in our meal rotations.

Yesterday we made home made gyros...sort of following this recipe which even though we had to sub a few ingredients was definitely a keeper of a recipe! (We did a 50/50 mix of ground lamb, ground beef as I had some of each in the freezer, and we didn't have a cucumber or tomatoes...but what we had tasted really good!)

I'm sure that everything will work out the way it is supposed to but...sigh...I'll be honest...things are starting to get really tight around here.  When you get paid on production and can't produce due to social distancing and everyone else not having an income to invest in things...in hindsight...paying cash for my kids college and having them pay me back when they got in industry jobs rather than student loans and feeding my own savings accounts, might not have been the best plan!  But...it was the right thing for my kids!

There seem to be two kinds of people in the world right now...those worked off their feet and those with too much time on their hands.  Which are you?

~M


No comments: